To lose weight you need to burn more calories than you consume on a regular basis.
- Research shows the best approach to weight loss is a combination of reduced caloric intake with an increase in physical activity.
- For gradual (and healthy) weight loss resulting in a 1-to 2-pound loss each week, decrease high-calorie foods and drinks AND increase your physical activity.
- Food choices should be nutrient-dense foods that provide many essential nutrients but few calories. These nutrient-dense choices actually allow you to eat more food yet still lose weight.
- For weight loss, it’s ideal to choose foods high in whole grains and fiber. These foods are generally lower in calories, saturated fat and added sugars yet provide abundant nutrients, and may help promote satiety.
- For weight loss and overall health, choose an eating plan with 45-65% of total daily calories from complex carbohydrates including vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and brown rice.
- It should be obvious that you to need to avoid overeating fatty foods. Limiting these types of fat calories in your diet can also help decrease your overall total caloric intake.
- Fat should provide approximately 25-35% of your total daily calories and be mostly in the form of unsaturated fats from plant and fish sources.
- Saturated and trans fats should be limited for weight loss and also for disease prevention.
- Select healthy fat options such as salmon, tuna, olive oil, walnuts, almonds, flaxseed, and avocados.
- Filling up on adequate complex carbohydrates and fresh fruit and vegetables while decreasing fatty and processed foods is an effective way to reduce fat consumption in your diet.
Foods to avoid include fast food, frozen packaged meals, packaged processed foods (chips, cookies, crackers), store-bought sweets, bread and muffins (just read the label on these items! They are loaded with chemicals that wreak havoc on our systems and will not aid in weight loss or maintenance.) Also, avoid sodas and other beverages high in sugar (coffee drinks that are basically desserts and alcoholic drinks).